New Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads announced at Cyclone media day that the names will be returning to the back of the uniforms. The news was warmly received by Cyclone Nation. The names will make it much easier for fans to spot newcomers they hope will get the Cyclones back to a bowl game in the very near future. Here are a few newcomers that we will have our eyes on September 4th.
1. DE Roosevelt Maggitt #38 – Rosey really got after the QB in the spring game. He is too small (6-2, 239) to be an every down DE at this point but he should be able to help the pass rush on third downs.
2. RB Jeremiah Schwartz #23 – Alexander Robinson will get the majority of touches at RB, but Schwartz will see time on 3rd and 4th and short. Schwartz is a big back (5-11, 232) that can move the pile. The coaches asked him to work on inside running and hitting the hole harder this summer. The coaches are happy with his improvement this fall.
3. QB Jerome Tiller #11 – It is highly doubtful that Jerome will unseat Austen Arnaud as Iowa State’s starting QB this season. With that being said the coaches need to find a way to get him involved in the offense. He is one of the fastest Cyclones and has game breaking ability. It will be interesting to see how JT is utilized this year, but I would be very surprised if he doesn’t make an impact in some way.
4. WR Lonzie Range #10 – Lonzie was the scout team offensive player of the year in 2009. The Cyclones will be utilizing at least 6 to 8 receivers each game and all signs point to Lonzie being in that rotation. He had a nice spring game pulling in several receptions.
5. DE Cleyon Laing #90 – The Canadian is a raw talent with good size and athleticism. He is currently listed on the two deeps and could contribute this year.
6. OL Brayden Burris #79 – Burris is currently running as a second team OT. I would guess the Cyclones will rely on the top 6-8 lineman for most of the work this season. I don’t think Brayden is that high in the rotation, but could see time with a couple injuries. He is making good progress and should contribute more in the future.
Others who could contribute:
LB Kevin Hamlin #44 – Hamlin needs more time in the weight room before he will see significant playing time. He is currently at 6-3, 190 and needs to add at least 30 pounds to his frame.
QB Brett Bueker #8 – Brett has been coming along nicely, but he will likely stay on the bench unless Austen and Jerome get injured.
DL Jake McDonough #94 – It looked like Jake had a chance to contribute this year before sitting out with an unknown illness this fall.
TE Kurt Hammerschmidt #86 – Collin Franklin and Derrick Catlett will see the lions share of time at TE and it appears that Carter Bykowski is ahead of him too.