New Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads announced at Cyclone media day that the names will be returning to the back of the uniforms. The news was warmly received by Cyclone Nation. The names will make it much easier for fans to spot newcomers they hope will get the Cyclones back to a bowl game in the very near future. Here are a few newcomers that we will have our eyes on September 4th.
1. S David Sims #1 – Sims is the guy that I am looking forward to seeing the most and is probably the most important newbie. The former Oklahoma commit brings the size and athleticism that the Clones have been lacking at the safety spot for many years.
2. WR Darius Reynolds #5 – Reynolds is the most hyped recruit in this years class thanks to the countless threads on Cyclone Fanatic. The early reports from camp say the hype may be on the “money”. He is taking to the WR position nicely and moving his way up the depth chart quickly. He is also flashing as a punt returner.
3. LB Matt Taufoou #45 – Linebacker is another position that the Cyclones could use an upgrade in talent and depth. Taufoou is a bit on the short side, but packs 242 lean pounds on his smaller frame. He came in to camp a bit dinged up, but he should see significant playing time this year. He will bring knowledge and leadership to the LB group.
4. LB Jacob Lattimer #48 – It sounds like Lattimer may be a little behind Taufoou, but he should see playing time at a LB position that is much in need of depth. He is 6-2, 240 lbs and has three years of eligibility remaining.
5. DB Earl Brooks #17 – Brooks was the last addition to the 2009 Cyclone recruiting class. Brooks will bring depth to the CB position and could see the field some as a nickel in the 4-2-5 alignment.
6. OL Zack Spears #76 – Spears is currently listed as the #2 tackle on the depth chart. It will be tough for him to break in to the top five this year and he could be a candidate for a redshirt.
Others who could contribute:
DB Andrew Crenshaw #46 – 5’9, 172 lbs from Waldorf CC
LB/DE Jon Watts #51 – 6’2, 214 lbs from Butte CC