Columbia, MO – Attendance 55,573
Missouri Tigers 34 Iowa State Cyclones 24
The Iowa State football team opened up its playbook utilizing a bevy of trick plays in the regular-season finale, but in the end a 24-point second half by Missouri helped the Tigers to a 34-24 victory Saturday at Faurot Field.
“Throughout the season, we have not given up many big plays,” Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads said. “Today, they made a couple big plays early in the second half and we responded by going three-and-out. That was the ball game.”
Iowa State – The Good
1. Darius Darks had a season high in catches (9) and yards (107). It was the first 100 yard receiving game by any Cyclone player this season.
2. Trick Plays – Alexander Robinson threw a 10 yard halfback pass for a touchdown to Jake Williams, OT Scott Haughton scored a 12 yard TD on a backward pass
3. The Cyclones finish the regular season at 6-6, which is 4 more wins than last year. Iowa State will find out which bowl they will attend on December 6th.
4. Sedrick Johnson had his best game of the year with 3 catches for 32 yards.
Iowa State – The Bad
1. Gave up two big play touchdowns early in the second half (Blaine Gabbert to Jerrel Jackson for 70 yards) and (Blaine Gabbert to Danario Alexander for 63 yards)
2. The Missouri receivers had huge games, Danario Alexander 11 catches, 173 yards, 1 TD and Jerrel Jackson 8 catches, 142 yards, 1 TD
3. Iowa State gave up 539 yards on defense and Missouri was 4-4 in the red zone.
4. Missouri controlled the time of possession, 36 minutes to 24 minutes. In the fourth quarter the Tigers held it for 12:21 compared to 2:39 for the Cyclones.
5. Iowa State was sacked a season high 3 times and the Cyclones did not get a sack on defense.
Cyclones Top Performers
Darius Darks – 9 catches, 107 yards, 1 TD (38)
Alexander Robinson – 57 rushing yards, 41 receiving yards, 10 passing yards (TD)
Michael Brandtner – 5 punts for 213 yards (42.6), 2 inside 20
Grant Mahoney – 1-1 FG (34), 3-3 XP
Christopher Lyle – 11 tackles, 1.5 TFL
Jesse Smith – 11 tackles, 1 TFL
Fred Garrin – 9 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 FR