Ames, IA – Attendance 43,208
Iowa State Cyclones 17 Colorado Buffaloes 10
AMES, Iowa – The Iowa State defense forced three second-half turnovers and held its third league opponent to 10 points or less in a 17-10 victory over Colorado Saturday afternoon in Jack Trice Stadium. The win improves ISU’s record to 6-5 overall and 3-4 in Big 12 play, making the Cyclones bowl eligible for the first time since 2005.
Iowa State – The Good
1. Iowa State is bowl eligible for the first time since 2005.
2. The running game got back on track Saturday with 194 yards rushing and 4.2 ypc.
3. ISU has now held three league opponents to 10 or fewer points.
4. Alexander Robinson had 158 all-purpose yards (138 rushing/20 passing). The 138 rushing yards gives him 1,002 for the season. He is the first Iowa State running back to rush for 1,000 yards since Stevie Hicks in 2004.
5. The Cyclones were 3-3 in the red zone and are now 27-33 on the season.
6. Senior Nate Frere had a key interception, which was his first as a Cyclone.
7. The play of the safeties was exceptional, David Sims and James Smith combined for 13 tackles, 1.5 TFL, 2 FF, 1 FR and 2 PBU.
8. The Cyclone defense stopped Colorado 3 of 4 times in the red zone and held the Buffs to 2 of 14 on third down. One of the red zone stops was a huge goal line stand in the first quarter after an Arnaud interception was returned to the 5 yard line. Jesse Smith stopped Sumler on 4th and goal at the 1.
9. I was very impressed with Patrick Neal‘s motor. He didn’t always get to the quarterback, but he never stopped. Neal ended up with a sack and 3 quarterback hurries.
10. Collin Franklin and Darius Darks both looked more explosive than they had all year.
11. True freshman, Jake Knott and Jeremy Reeves played key minutes and played very well.
12. Grant Mahoney was perfect on the day going 2-2 on XP and nailed his only field goal (25).
13. Much has been said about the crowd being smallish for a meaningful game in November, which I tend to agree, but the fans that did show up were in to the game and were a factor. It was great that the fans got to celebrate with the players on the field after their huge accomplishment.
Iowa State – The Bad
1. Austen Arnaud was better, but his passing needs to improve. Arnaud ended up 12-25, 116 yards and 1 interception. The interception gave CU great field position, but luckily the defense stepped up and made the stop
2. The Cyclones had too many penalties (7 for 64 yards). One penalty took a 77 yard touchdown pass, Arnaud to Marquis Hamilton, off the board. (Hamilton was called for pass interference, it looked like the defender just fell, looking forward to seeing the replay on Tuesday).
3. Iowa State was down 2-0 in the turnover battle at halftime and was the main reason Colorado was able to hang around.
Cyclones Top Performers
Alexander Robinson – 138 rushing yards, 20 receiving yards (TD)
David Sims – 7 tackles, 1.5 TFL, 2 FF
Jesse Smith – 7 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 PBU, 4th and goal tackle
James Smith – 6 tackles, 1 FR, 2 PBU
Patrick Neal – 3 tackles, 1 sack, 3 QBH